I had the opportunity to get Adam Sharp, Manager of Government & Politics at Twitter, to myself for a few minutes at Social Media Chicago. During the presentation, he spoke about the newest groups using Twitter and other interesting facts including:
- There are over 100 million active users on Twitter
- There are over 230 million tweet per day
- It took almost three years to get the 1 billionth tweet
- 40% of Twitter users tweet regularly (I am in that number)
- 57% of Twitter users tweet at least once a month
- Twitter users are more likely to write and comment on blogs
- Seniors and African Americans are the largest growing groups on Twitter
- And Twitter is 5 years old this year (YAY!)
He also shared the handy Twitter features like search, fast follow, and new image options.
I wanted to know how the newest audiences are using Twitter and how trending topics really work. Listen to what Adam had to say.
[mp3player width=177 height=281 config=fmp_jw_widget_config.xml file=http://www.thewritedesignco.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Adam-Sharp-Social-Media-Week-Chicago-Twitter.mp3]
Do you have any questions about Twitter you’d like to ask Adam?